Over the past several weeks, the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak has shaken and caused widespread disruption to businesses throughout the world. As the virus continues to spread around the globe, many companies are faced with the difficult decision of whether to cancel large events due to public health concerns and the threat of quarantines.
Gov Greg Abbott took sweeping statewide action against the new coronavirus announcing an executive order that will limit social gatherings to 10 people, prohibit eating and drinking at restaurants and bars while still allowing takeout, close gyms, ban people from visiting nursing homes except for critical care, and temporarily close schools.
In addition to this and out of growing concern for the health and wellness of our community members, we had to make the hard decision to postpose the Fithappens Gym Annual 5K. We are watching the situation closely and have high hopes of rescheduling the event as it benefits the local volunteer fire department that is in the front line.
Please consider donating to the Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department at this time! They are the front line and during this crisis they put their lives and families lives at risk by assisting our community. It is during these critical times, that we can show them our support and appreication for all that they do.
WHY WE HOLD THE EVENT
Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department consist of all volunteers. Volunteer firefighters must be properly trained and certified. A fire department has many cost associated with it - firefighter’s full gear can cost over $15,000, hundreds to thousands of dollars to maintain equipment, training, fuel, supplies, and more. To ensure these men and women are fully prepared to serve their communities, this is a cost that cannot be avoided.
While both the federal and state governments have possible grants that fire departments can apply for, this is rare meaning they are still heavily self-funded. The best source of these funds is the local community.
That’s the reason each year Fithappens Gym holds an annual 5K walk/run. We appreciate everything that our Volunteer Fire Department does for our community. This is our way to support and give back to them. All proceeds go to the Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department.
4th ANNUAL FITHAPPENS GYM 5K WALK/RUN - APRIL 18, 2020 @ 8 am
Fithappens Gym is hosting its 4th annual informal 5K event to benefit Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department.
Tacos will be provided to all finishers from Ramiro's Taco Company!
Motivating music will be provided, once again, by the amazing DJ Traxe!
Open to everyone of all ages !!!
Run, walk, push the stroller, crawl, carry a child on your back…we have seen it all! We encourage everyone to participate and assist us in raising funds to support the Union Valley Volunteer Fire Department.
**THIS IS NOT A CHIP TIMED RACE.**
- We will have a very simple, almost flat course.
- The volunteers from the fire department will on-site to help with traffic control and medical needs should they arise.
- Guaranteed prizes for the top male and female participants.
- Participants registered by 3/31/19 will be guaranteed an event shirt.
Pre-register online at www.fithappensgym2020.eventbrite.com.
- Early Bird Registration - $25 – Must register before March 30, 2020.
- Advance Registration - $35 – Must register between April 1 - April 17, 2020.
- Onsite Registration - $45 (Cash Only)
- If you are registering more than one person, please choose “Group Registration” to
complete in one transaction.
RACE DAY INFORMATION
- Registration and packet pick up will open at 7 am. Registration will close at 7:45 am.
- Please be sure to arrive early to allow time to pick up the packet and/or register.
- The race will begin promptly at 8 am.
- Awards and race times will be available shortly after the event.
- Please no pets. :(
- If you are racing and have small children that will not be walking/running the race with you, please be sure to have someone there to watch over them. We are not responsible for your children and do not want to see them get hurt.
- No playing on gym equipment. We do not want to risk any injuries without proper supervision.